Maths is a universal language which can conclusively and precisely convey the message. It is an essential skill to have and I can’t stress this enough. Can you imagine going to a store and getting stuff but not knowing how much to pay? Not being able to handle the small denominations or not be able to count how much it adds up to. Isn’t it the important? Let’s not just look at it from a monetary perspective. Most of the subjects have elements of math in it. Be it physics, chemistry, maths or even the humanities (some people have a view that maths is not required for this field). Learning it makes everyday jobs simpler and a habit actually rather than a chore.
The fundamentals of this subject are taught to children from a tender age, right from kindergarten if not earlier.
Let’s list out some of the reasons for learning mathematics
- It teaches logical and critical thinking. It teaches about logic and order and helps develop discipline of mind which can easily be applied in different domains of life. Understanding maths demonstrates a strong ability to think. This is the reason why it forms such a critical aspects of all kind of competitions.
- Maths gives definite answers. There is no scope for subjectivity. It is objective. 2+2 is 4 regardless of region, language and any boundary which divides. It just requires practise.
- It encourages accuracy and attention to detail. Imagine doing a project on say for example solar system where you have to make a model of it. Can it be done without the knowledge of maths, of spheres, radius, area at the very least? If not paid attention to it the whole model may look lopsided where Mercury is the same size as Jupiter and Earth is marginally small. Paying attention to details is what drives excellence and is the critical to success.
- An essential life skill which one should have. As mentioned above the ‘shopping’ experience, other tasks of life also become quite difficult without an understanding of maths. Like for example simple activity of ordering online, calculating test scores, paying bills, etc. Maths help simplify life as we know it.
- Handling money and also making it through investments and other avenues. One can also multiply money by investing it and for this purpose calculating interest rates, return, income tax, etc., is crucial. Thus maths helps us simplify such decision based on science.
All the developments we see around the world, has its basis somewhere in maths. Even nature follows mathematic principles. The length of our forearms and hand are in a ratio of phi also known as divine or golden ratio. Now having established how maths is important let’s focus on how to learn it.
It is preferred to start learning it from early age. It forms the basis of most of the subjects and without actually knowing it, it’s just rote learning which is not very rewarding in the long run. Learning it fun and the more you learn is the more you love it. Learning maths gets easier with practice and planet spark has actually incorporated the lessons in an activity based, scientific methodology where learning is fun. Its partner aims to bring the best in your child and make this subject a friend to your child rather than something which terrifies them. Maths is easy and like a game.